Introducing active and past research projects conducted at GeoICT
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS SINCE 2007
- [P10] Enhanced 3D Cityscape Modeling for
Enabling the Next Generation Geospatial Web
May 2009 - April 2014 sponsored by NSERC Discovery Grant (PI-Dr. Gunho Sohn) - $95,000 for five years.
- [P9] Three-dimensionalizing Surveillance Networks - Full
April 2009 - March 2012 sponsored by GEOIDE Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) & Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): PI-Dr. James Elder; Co-PIs Drs. Gunho Sohn (York University), Jim Little (UBC), Ayman Habib (University of Calgary), Frank Ferrie (McGill University), John S. Zelek (University of Waterloo), David Clausi (University of Waterloo) and Claire Samson (Carleton University).
[P8] Vegetation characterization for precision forestry and for environmental protection
Jan 2009 - Dec 2012 sponsored by NSERC Collaborative Research and Development (CRD) Program, Canadian Space Agency and GeoDigital International Inc. (PI- Dr. Baoxin Hu & Co-PI-Dr. Gunho Sohn).
[P7] Validation of RADARSAT-2 InSAR-derived DEMs
Sponsored by SOAR, Canadian Space Agency (Dr. Costas Armenakis).
- [P6]U50 Virtual Campus
Aug 2008 - Oct 2009 sponsored by York University; In-kind contributions from Optech, FirstBaseSolutions, City of Toronto, York University (Map Library and U50 Committee).
Group Project in Geomatics Engineering Program at York University.
[P5] Rapid mapping, monitoring and tracking - Development of low-cost unmanned aerial mapping systems (UAMS)
May 2008 - April 2013 sponsored by NSERC Discovery (PI-Dr. Costas Armenakis).
[P4] Spatiotemporal Risk Management of Power-line Networks
April 2008 - March 2011 sponsored by Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) & GeoDigital International Inc. (GDI) (PI-Dr. Gunho Sohn & Co-PI Dr. Baoxin Hu).
Spatiotemporal 3D City
Nov 2007 - Aug 2011 sponsored by Korea Ministry of Construction and Transportation (PI-Dr. Gunho Sohn).
COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECTS SINCE JULY 2008
[P2] Three-dimensionalizing Surveillance Networks - Pilot
April 2008 - March 2009 sponsored by GEOIDE Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) & Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE): PI-Dr. James Elder; Co-PIs Drs. Gunho Sohn (York University), Jim Little (UBC), Ayman Habib (University of Calgary), University of Waterloo, McGill University.
Underwater Habitat Mapping
April 2005 - March 2009 sponsored by GEOIDE Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) (York University PI-Dr. Gunho Sohn).
DEVELOPING RESEARCH PROJECTS
The laboratory has strong research interests in: 1) a "search and rescue" research based on UGV and UAV system; 2) an interdisciplinary research collaborated with micro-scale meteorologist, geographers, forest scientist and city planers to develop applications to use 3D urbarn models; 3) developing 3D GeoWeb applications to integrate GIS, BIM and CAD with geosensors.
At present, our proposals for the GEOIDE SII are under review. The proposal is related to monitoring of global warming using ground sensors and nano-satellite. The other proposal is related to decision making and analysis for powerline risk monitoring. Also, a research initiative for feasibility study using 3D mobile mapping system for street corridor mapping is under discussion with the GeoICT's industrial partner and public sectors. We are also actively discussing and developing a new research ideas in wireless sensor networling applications. More works!
PAST RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Geospatial Information Stream
- GeoSWIFT: Spatial Sensor Web
- GeoEye™: A Web-based Java GIS Engine (A Smart Client System)
- GeoEye 3D: A Web-Based 3D Java GIS (A Distributed 3D GIS Engine)
- Distributed 3D Geospatial Visualization and Streaming
- Ubiquitous GIS: Ubiquitous GIS for Anywhere and Anytime Geocomputing (Using Wearable Computing Technology)
- Wireless Mobile GIS and LBS: A Wireless Mobile GIS to Support
- SmarDigitizer: A powerful tool for vector extraction
- Automap: Automatic and semi-automatic 3D feature extraction
- Photogrammetric Exploitation of Imagery Using Rational Function Model (RFM)
- Digital Blad (Bare) Terrain Model Reconstruction from Airborne SAR
- LidarXpert: Automatic Processing of Airborne LIDAR data
- Mobile Mapping Systems and Image Processing
- Street Video Image Mosaicing
- JIIRP: Joint Infrastructure Interdependence Research Program
- NorthStar 1.0: Multidimensional Visualization of Voluminous Historical Data
- GeoATOMS: GIS Based Nuclear Facility Management and Reporting System
- WebRenter: A Web-based Housing Rental System
- Geo-CyberLabs: An Online Cyber Labs for GIS Education
- Distributed, Spatially Enabled and Interoperable Model for Biodiversity Data
- Geospatially Enabled Geotechnical Data Warehouse (SEGDW)
- Development of Spatially Enabled PPDM